Banana-Raisin French Toast
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
With a surprise banana filling, this low-fat French toast is sure to please the whole family.
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 2 teaspoons frozen orange-juice concentrate
- 4 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, or honey
- 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- Mash banana coarsely with a fork in a small, shallow bowl. Stir in orange-juice concentrate. Spread the banana mixture over 2 slices of bread and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread, forming 2 sandwiches.
- Whisk together egg whites and milk in a shallow dish; add the sandwiches and soak for about 20 seconds. Turn the sandwiches over and soak for 20 seconds longer. Transfer the sandwiches to a plate.
- Stir together yogurt and maple syrup (or honey) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon butter in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Tilt the pan to swirl the butter around the skillet. Place the sandwiches in the pan using a metal spatula, and cook until the underside is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Lift the sandwiches and add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon butter. Turn over and cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes longer. Serve with the sweetened yogurt.
Per serving: 318 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 300 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1993