Banana-Raisin French Toast
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
With a surprise banana filling, this low-fat French toast is sure to please the whole family.
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 2 teaspoons frozen orange-juice concentrate
- 4 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, or honey
- 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- Mash banana coarsely with a fork in a small, shallow bowl. Stir in orange-juice concentrate. Spread the banana mixture over 2 slices of bread and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread, forming 2 sandwiches.
- Whisk together egg whites and milk in a shallow dish; add the sandwiches and soak for about 20 seconds. Turn the sandwiches over and soak for 20 seconds longer. Transfer the sandwiches to a plate.
- Stir together yogurt and maple syrup (or honey) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon butter in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Tilt the pan to swirl the butter around the skillet. Place the sandwiches in the pan using a metal spatula, and cook until the underside is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Lift the sandwiches and add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon butter. Turn over and cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes longer. Serve with the sweetened yogurt.
Per serving: 318 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 300 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1993