Banana-Raisin French Toast
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
With a surprise banana filling, this low-fat French toast is sure to please the whole family.
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 2 teaspoons frozen orange-juice concentrate
- 4 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, or honey
- 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- Mash banana coarsely with a fork in a small, shallow bowl. Stir in orange-juice concentrate. Spread the banana mixture over 2 slices of bread and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread, forming 2 sandwiches.
- Whisk together egg whites and milk in a shallow dish; add the sandwiches and soak for about 20 seconds. Turn the sandwiches over and soak for 20 seconds longer. Transfer the sandwiches to a plate.
- Stir together yogurt and maple syrup (or honey) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon butter in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Tilt the pan to swirl the butter around the skillet. Place the sandwiches in the pan using a metal spatula, and cook until the underside is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Lift the sandwiches and add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon butter. Turn over and cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes longer. Serve with the sweetened yogurt.
Per serving: 318 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 300 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1993