Banana-Raisin French Toast
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
With a surprise banana filling, this low-fat French toast is sure to please the whole family.
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 2 teaspoons frozen orange-juice concentrate
- 4 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, or honey
- 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- Mash banana coarsely with a fork in a small, shallow bowl. Stir in orange-juice concentrate. Spread the banana mixture over 2 slices of bread and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread, forming 2 sandwiches.
- Whisk together egg whites and milk in a shallow dish; add the sandwiches and soak for about 20 seconds. Turn the sandwiches over and soak for 20 seconds longer. Transfer the sandwiches to a plate.
- Stir together yogurt and maple syrup (or honey) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon butter in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Tilt the pan to swirl the butter around the skillet. Place the sandwiches in the pan using a metal spatula, and cook until the underside is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Lift the sandwiches and add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon butter. Turn over and cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes longer. Serve with the sweetened yogurt.
Per serving: 318 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 300 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)