Banana-Raisin French Toast
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
With a surprise banana filling, this low-fat French toast is sure to please the whole family.
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 2 teaspoons frozen orange-juice concentrate
- 4 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, or honey
- 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- Mash banana coarsely with a fork in a small, shallow bowl. Stir in orange-juice concentrate. Spread the banana mixture over 2 slices of bread and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread, forming 2 sandwiches.
- Whisk together egg whites and milk in a shallow dish; add the sandwiches and soak for about 20 seconds. Turn the sandwiches over and soak for 20 seconds longer. Transfer the sandwiches to a plate.
- Stir together yogurt and maple syrup (or honey) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon butter in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Tilt the pan to swirl the butter around the skillet. Place the sandwiches in the pan using a metal spatula, and cook until the underside is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Lift the sandwiches and add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon butter. Turn over and cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes longer. Serve with the sweetened yogurt.
Per serving: 318 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 300 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1993