From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Put away any preconceived notions of Grandma's fruit salad. This unusual combination of tropical fruit in a savory shallot vinaigrette will have you dreaming of the tropics.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 4 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 2 firm ripe bananas, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk lime juice, oil, shallot, vinegar, honey, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add kiwis, bananas, bell pepper and mint; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with cashews.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast nuts & seeds on the stovetop: Toast in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 170 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 544 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Fiber (20% dv), Potassium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- February/March 2006