From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Put away any preconceived notions of Grandma's fruit salad. This unusual combination of tropical fruit in a savory shallot vinaigrette will have you dreaming of the tropics.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 4 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 2 firm ripe bananas, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk lime juice, oil, shallot, vinegar, honey, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add kiwis, bananas, bell pepper and mint; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with cashews.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast nuts & seeds on the stovetop: Toast in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 170 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 544 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Fiber (20% dv), Potassium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- February/March 2006