Banana Corn Fritters
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Savory, smoky and slightly sweet, these are great with roast pork loin, a hearty bowl of black bean soup or barbecued chicken legs and coleslaw. Dotted with creme fraiche, they make an exotic appetizer.
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Ingredient note) or cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups roughly mashed bananas, (about 3 medium)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk, or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and chipotle (or cayenne) in a medium bowl. Mix banana, egg and milk (or buttermilk) in another medium bowl. Add the cornmeal mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just incorporated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; using 2 tablespoons of batter for each, space 5 fritters evenly in the pan. Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Cook a second batch with the remaining oil and batter, adjusting heat to prevent burning.
- Transfer the fritters to the oven and bake until puffed and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Reheat at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers, often used to add heat and a smoky flavor to foods. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty-spice section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 243 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- February/March 2006