Banana Corn Fritters
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Savory, smoky and slightly sweet, these are great with roast pork loin, a hearty bowl of black bean soup or barbecued chicken legs and coleslaw. Dotted with creme fraiche, they make an exotic appetizer.
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Ingredient note) or cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups roughly mashed bananas, (about 3 medium)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk, or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and chipotle (or cayenne) in a medium bowl. Mix banana, egg and milk (or buttermilk) in another medium bowl. Add the cornmeal mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just incorporated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; using 2 tablespoons of batter for each, space 5 fritters evenly in the pan. Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Cook a second batch with the remaining oil and batter, adjusting heat to prevent burning.
- Transfer the fritters to the oven and bake until puffed and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Reheat at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers, often used to add heat and a smoky flavor to foods. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty-spice section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 243 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- February/March 2006