Banana Corn Fritters
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Savory, smoky and slightly sweet, these are great with roast pork loin, a hearty bowl of black bean soup or barbecued chicken legs and coleslaw. Dotted with creme fraiche, they make an exotic appetizer.
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Ingredient note) or cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups roughly mashed bananas, (about 3 medium)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk, or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and chipotle (or cayenne) in a medium bowl. Mix banana, egg and milk (or buttermilk) in another medium bowl. Add the cornmeal mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just incorporated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; using 2 tablespoons of batter for each, space 5 fritters evenly in the pan. Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Cook a second batch with the remaining oil and batter, adjusting heat to prevent burning.
- Transfer the fritters to the oven and bake until puffed and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Reheat at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers, often used to add heat and a smoky flavor to foods. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty-spice section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 243 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- February/March 2006