Banana Corn Fritters
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Savory, smoky and slightly sweet, these are great with roast pork loin, a hearty bowl of black bean soup or barbecued chicken legs and coleslaw. Dotted with creme fraiche, they make an exotic appetizer.
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Ingredient note) or cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups roughly mashed bananas, (about 3 medium)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk, or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and chipotle (or cayenne) in a medium bowl. Mix banana, egg and milk (or buttermilk) in another medium bowl. Add the cornmeal mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just incorporated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; using 2 tablespoons of batter for each, space 5 fritters evenly in the pan. Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Cook a second batch with the remaining oil and batter, adjusting heat to prevent burning.
- Transfer the fritters to the oven and bake until puffed and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Reheat at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers, often used to add heat and a smoky flavor to foods. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty-spice section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 243 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- February/March 2006