Banana Cake with Coconut-Cream Frosting
Combining traditional flavors with modern sensibilities, the creamed butter and sugar have been replaced with a simple meringue in this moist, luscious cake.
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas, (2 large)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut chips, or flaked
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Dust lightly with flour, shaking out the excess (or use cooking spray with flour).
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling, until it turns a nutty brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, increase speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry (this can take up to 5 minutes).
- Combine the melted butter, egg yolk, remaining 1 cup sugar, bananas, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. With mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk; beat until just blended. Beat in a heaping spoonful of the whites. Using a whisk, fold in the remaining whites. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto the racks and let cool completely.
- To prepare frosting & assemble cake: Toast coconut in a pie pan at 350 degrees F until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and coconut extract in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cake, using a little less than half the frosting between layers and the rest on the top. Garnish with the toasted coconut.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 6. Wrap cake layers in plastic wrap, then foil and freeze for up to 3 months. | Equipment: Two 9-inch round cake pans
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Per serving: 346 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 239 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low cholesterol
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique