From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Banana bread is the perfect vehicle for using bananas once they are past their prime.
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hot, strong brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 cups mashed overripe bananas, (about 4)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Dissolve brown sugar in coffee in a bowl. Stir in bananas. Whisk together egg, egg white, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the banana mixture. Whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add to the banana mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the loaf onto a rack and let cool completely.
Per serving: 182 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 211 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1993