From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Banana bread is the perfect vehicle for using bananas once they are past their prime.
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hot, strong brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 cups mashed overripe bananas, (about 4)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Dissolve brown sugar in coffee in a bowl. Stir in bananas. Whisk together egg, egg white, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the banana mixture. Whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add to the banana mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the loaf onto a rack and let cool completely.
Per serving: 182 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 211 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993