From EatingWell: Summer 2002
Ruby-red port gives this dressing a sophisticated sweetness and depth that makes it ideal for drizzling over dark greens topped with fresh fruit (try juicy plums), golden raisins or snipped dried apricots, toasted nuts and crumbled goat cheese.
- 1/2 cup port, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot, (1 large)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine port, vinegar, honey, thyme and shallot in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in mustard, oil, salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: Port is a fortified wine that provides an immediate depth of flavor. Tawny port and ruby port are both economical choices. Vintage port is more expensive and is usually reserved for sipping after a meal.
Per tablespoon: 39 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 63 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Summer 2002