From EatingWell: Summer 2002
Ruby-red port gives this dressing a sophisticated sweetness and depth that makes it ideal for drizzling over dark greens topped with fresh fruit (try juicy plums), golden raisins or snipped dried apricots, toasted nuts and crumbled goat cheese.
- 1/2 cup port, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot, (1 large)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine port, vinegar, honey, thyme and shallot in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in mustard, oil, salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: Port is a fortified wine that provides an immediate depth of flavor. Tawny port and ruby port are both economical choices. Vintage port is more expensive and is usually reserved for sipping after a meal.
Per tablespoon: 39 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 63 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Summer 2002