From EatingWell: Summer 2002
Ruby-red port gives this dressing a sophisticated sweetness and depth that makes it ideal for drizzling over dark greens topped with fresh fruit (try juicy plums), golden raisins or snipped dried apricots, toasted nuts and crumbled goat cheese.
- 1/2 cup port, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot, (1 large)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine port, vinegar, honey, thyme and shallot in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in mustard, oil, salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: Port is a fortified wine that provides an immediate depth of flavor. Tawny port and ruby port are both economical choices. Vintage port is more expensive and is usually reserved for sipping after a meal.
Per tablespoon: 39 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 63 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Summer 2002