Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Roasting isn't usually the first cooking method you think of for cauliflower but the results are quite delicious. The florets are cut into thick slices and tossed with extra-virgin olive oil and herbs. Wherever the flat surfaces come into contact with the hot roasting pan, a deep browning occurs that results in a sweet, nutty flavor.
- 8 cups 1-inch-thick slices cauliflower florets, (about 1 large head; see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss cauliflower, oil, marjoram, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until starting to soften and brown on the bottom, 15 to 20 minutes. Toss the cauliflower with vinegar and sprinkle with cheese. Return to the oven and roast until the cheese is melted and any moisture has evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To prepare florets from a whole head of cauliflower, remove outer leaves. Slice off the thick stem. With the head upside down and holding a knife at a 45° angle, slice into the smaller stems with a circular motion—removing a “plug” from the center of the head. Break or cut florets into the desired size.
Per serving: 149 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Fiber (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- January/February 2008