Balsamic-Glazed Roasted Chicken Breasts
Glazed with balsamic vinegar and red currant jelly, these roasted chicken breasts are a snap to prepare. Bone-in chicken breasts retain more moisture than boneless, but take just a bit longer to cook. Look for small chicken breasts that yield a sensible 3-ounce portion of lean protein. If you can only find large ones, save some of the leftovers.
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts, (about 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil or coat it with cooking spray.
- Season chicken on both sides with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then rub with 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Place bone-side up in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat jelly, vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the jelly is melted. Season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Turn the chicken meat-side up. Brush liberally with the jelly glaze. Continue to roast, brushing twice with the remaining glaze, until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
Per serving: 305 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 132 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 52 g protein; 0 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (57% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 7 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique