Balsamic-Glazed Roasted Chicken Breasts
Glazed with balsamic vinegar and red currant jelly, these roasted chicken breasts are a snap to prepare. Bone-in chicken breasts retain more moisture than boneless, but take just a bit longer to cook. Look for small chicken breasts that yield a sensible 3-ounce portion of lean protein. If you can only find large ones, save some of the leftovers.
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts, (about 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil or coat it with cooking spray.
- Season chicken on both sides with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then rub with 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Place bone-side up in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat jelly, vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the jelly is melted. Season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Turn the chicken meat-side up. Brush liberally with the jelly glaze. Continue to roast, brushing twice with the remaining glaze, until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
Per serving: 305 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 132 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 52 g protein; 0 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (57% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 7 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique