Balsamic-Glazed Roasted Chicken Breasts
Glazed with balsamic vinegar and red currant jelly, these roasted chicken breasts are a snap to prepare. Bone-in chicken breasts retain more moisture than boneless, but take just a bit longer to cook. Look for small chicken breasts that yield a sensible 3-ounce portion of lean protein. If you can only find large ones, save some of the leftovers.
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts, (about 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil or coat it with cooking spray.
- Season chicken on both sides with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then rub with 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Place bone-side up in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat jelly, vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the jelly is melted. Season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Turn the chicken meat-side up. Brush liberally with the jelly glaze. Continue to roast, brushing twice with the remaining glaze, until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
Per serving: 305 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 132 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 52 g protein; 0 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (57% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 7 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation