Balsamic-Glazed Roasted Chicken Breasts
Glazed with balsamic vinegar and red currant jelly, these roasted chicken breasts are a snap to prepare. Bone-in chicken breasts retain more moisture than boneless, but take just a bit longer to cook. Look for small chicken breasts that yield a sensible 3-ounce portion of lean protein. If you can only find large ones, save some of the leftovers.
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts, (about 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil or coat it with cooking spray.
- Season chicken on both sides with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then rub with 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Place bone-side up in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat jelly, vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the jelly is melted. Season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Turn the chicken meat-side up. Brush liberally with the jelly glaze. Continue to roast, brushing twice with the remaining glaze, until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
Per serving: 305 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 132 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 52 g protein; 0 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (57% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 7 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry