Baked Stuffed Onions
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
These baked onions are stuffed with a savory combination of mushrooms, breadcrumbs and capers.
- 3 Spanish onions
- 3 ounces day-old Italian bread, (without crust) (six 1/2-inch-thick slices)
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces mushrooms, (6 large), cleaned, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Keeping the whole onions intact, peel away the outer layer. Carefully trim root ends with a paring knife, so they are flat. Cook the onions in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhle, combine bread with milk in a small bowl; let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze bread almost dry and, with your fingers break it into a large bowl. Stir in egg, mushrooms, capers, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut onions in half horizontally. Scoop out some of the center of each onion and chop coarsely. (Reserve the onion halves). Add the chopped onion to the bread mixture and mix well. Fill the onion halves with the bread mixture and sprinkle with dry breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the onions in a shallow 2-quart baking dish and drizzle with oil. Bake, uncovered, until the tops are golden and the onions are heated through, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 114 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993