Baked Stuffed Onions
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
These baked onions are stuffed with a savory combination of mushrooms, breadcrumbs and capers.
- 3 Spanish onions
- 3 ounces day-old Italian bread, (without crust) (six 1/2-inch-thick slices)
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces mushrooms, (6 large), cleaned, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Keeping the whole onions intact, peel away the outer layer. Carefully trim root ends with a paring knife, so they are flat. Cook the onions in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhle, combine bread with milk in a small bowl; let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze bread almost dry and, with your fingers break it into a large bowl. Stir in egg, mushrooms, capers, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut onions in half horizontally. Scoop out some of the center of each onion and chop coarsely. (Reserve the onion halves). Add the chopped onion to the bread mixture and mix well. Fill the onion halves with the bread mixture and sprinkle with dry breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the onions in a shallow 2-quart baking dish and drizzle with oil. Bake, uncovered, until the tops are golden and the onions are heated through, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 114 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993