Baked Stuffed Onions
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
These baked onions are stuffed with a savory combination of mushrooms, breadcrumbs and capers.
- 3 Spanish onions
- 3 ounces day-old Italian bread, (without crust) (six 1/2-inch-thick slices)
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces mushrooms, (6 large), cleaned, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Keeping the whole onions intact, peel away the outer layer. Carefully trim root ends with a paring knife, so they are flat. Cook the onions in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhle, combine bread with milk in a small bowl; let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze bread almost dry and, with your fingers break it into a large bowl. Stir in egg, mushrooms, capers, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut onions in half horizontally. Scoop out some of the center of each onion and chop coarsely. (Reserve the onion halves). Add the chopped onion to the bread mixture and mix well. Fill the onion halves with the bread mixture and sprinkle with dry breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the onions in a shallow 2-quart baking dish and drizzle with oil. Bake, uncovered, until the tops are golden and the onions are heated through, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 114 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Making a satisfying, low-calorie dinner is easy with our one-...
It’s easy to make a healthy dinner recipe without dirtying...
Grab a box of your favorite whole-wheat linguine or penne...
Good news for people who eat breakfast—they tend to weigh...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
Cutlets—typically a thin slice of meat cut from the rib...
Whether you’re watching your finances or just trying to put a...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
There is no room for a roast that's anything less than...
Chocolate is such a rich and indulgent treat it almost seems...
Creamy blue cheese isn’t just for salads and dressing anymore...
Chopped, layered, pulsed or stirred, these easy dips are...
Ginger pairs well with soy sauce, chile peppers and garlic,...
Our healthy pumpkin dessert recipes are lighter twists on the...
A popular meat around the globe, lamb is raised and consumed...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1993