Baked Stuffed Onions
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
These baked onions are stuffed with a savory combination of mushrooms, breadcrumbs and capers.
- 3 Spanish onions
- 3 ounces day-old Italian bread, (without crust) (six 1/2-inch-thick slices)
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces mushrooms, (6 large), cleaned, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Keeping the whole onions intact, peel away the outer layer. Carefully trim root ends with a paring knife, so they are flat. Cook the onions in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhle, combine bread with milk in a small bowl; let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze bread almost dry and, with your fingers break it into a large bowl. Stir in egg, mushrooms, capers, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut onions in half horizontally. Scoop out some of the center of each onion and chop coarsely. (Reserve the onion halves). Add the chopped onion to the bread mixture and mix well. Fill the onion halves with the bread mixture and sprinkle with dry breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the onions in a shallow 2-quart baking dish and drizzle with oil. Bake, uncovered, until the tops are golden and the onions are heated through, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 114 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1993