Baked Stuffed Onions
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
These baked onions are stuffed with a savory combination of mushrooms, breadcrumbs and capers.
- 3 Spanish onions
- 3 ounces day-old Italian bread, (without crust) (six 1/2-inch-thick slices)
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces mushrooms, (6 large), cleaned, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Keeping the whole onions intact, peel away the outer layer. Carefully trim root ends with a paring knife, so they are flat. Cook the onions in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhle, combine bread with milk in a small bowl; let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze bread almost dry and, with your fingers break it into a large bowl. Stir in egg, mushrooms, capers, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut onions in half horizontally. Scoop out some of the center of each onion and chop coarsely. (Reserve the onion halves). Add the chopped onion to the bread mixture and mix well. Fill the onion halves with the bread mixture and sprinkle with dry breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the onions in a shallow 2-quart baking dish and drizzle with oil. Bake, uncovered, until the tops are golden and the onions are heated through, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 114 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993