I just wanted to comment and say that I use Skim Milk for all my mac & cheese dishes. It gets just as thick it does take a little longer. It is worth it to me because it is even less in fat. I make my own bechamel sauce with the Skim Milk and add the low fat cheese. Works great for me!
Baked Mac & Cheese
Mac & cheese can be a true comfort on a gloomy day, and our healthy update takes advantage of extra-sharp Cheddar balanced with creamy low-fat cottage cheese and tucks a layer of spinach into the middle, which may help picky eaters down their vegetables. Whole-wheat pasta adds robust flavor and extra fiber.
64 Reviews for Baked Mac & Cheese
I love making mac 'n cheese...but for this version, I wanted to get in some fresh apples. Apples and blue cheese go really well together...so why not? I made my version Blue Cheese Mac 'n Cheese http://tiny.cc/82ip8, and topped with freshly chopped apple.
I read the reviews and altered the recipe at some others' suggestions:
- added 1 onion (diced and browned in a fry pan) and 1 can of italian seasoned diced tomatoes to squeeze in more veggies
- mixed everything together instead of layering
- no bread crumbs (just making it for me to eat over a few days, so thanks to whoever mentioned they would get soggy!); added a thin layer of cheese on top instead
- used low-fat bag mix of asiago/parm/mozzarella/etc
It's really delicious and reheats well (about 2 min in the microwave)!! I think next time I would add more seasoning - more garlic (I added some), more salt, maybe some thyme... but in general, it's really great so just perfecting!
This is a great recipe. I doubled the recipe and made it in a 9x13 " pan, which worked well. My only changes were to use a cheddar and sharp cheddar combo and to use half whole wheat noodles and half regular because I had them on hand. It is not a rich, intense mac and cheese, but I don't think that's the intention. Its kind of refreshing to not feel like your heart is going to stop shortly after finishing your meal.
I read some of the comments before I made this to get an idea of what people did to make it their own. This is what I did.
*The spices I used were a little salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder.
*I included more cheese, and a variety when melting into the hot milk. I added 3 wedges of swiss laughing cow, 1/4 cup shredded parm. I used 2% sharp cheddar for the shredded. I also thought afterwards that I could have used light cream cheese and added a tad more shredded cheddar, to make a tad creamier.
*added a can of diced tomatoes (no added salt tomatoes) with the sauteed spinach as the layer between the mac.
*added 2 tsp of oil with the panko to make sure it would evenly brown, as well as mixed with another 1/4 cup of parm.
My mom who is a mac and cheese fiend, and also not a fan of whole wheat anything, absolutely loved this. She did say that she wished it was a little creamier, so will add more milk and more cheese next time. And also some sauteed onions with the spinach and tomatoes.
For those weight watcher people, this is only 5.5 points plus per cup!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)