If you don't want to put a vegetable into the dish, add 1/4 cup of chicken broth or 1/4 cup of the juices from a can of collard greens, string beans or any other green vegetable you prefer. Very delicious.
Baked Mac & Cheese
Mac & cheese can be a true comfort on a gloomy day, and our healthy update takes advantage of extra-sharp Cheddar balanced with creamy low-fat cottage cheese and tucks a layer of spinach into the middle, which may help picky eaters down their vegetables. Whole-wheat pasta adds robust flavor and extra fiber.
64 Reviews for Baked Mac & Cheese
Loved it! My girlfriend was extremely skeptical, but said she thought it was amazing and that we should make it again, using all whole-wheat noodles next time.
Didn't use the nutmeg, and used half part-skim mozzerella and half cheddar. Did a mix of whole wheat and regular rotini, and a full 16 oz bag of spinach, which she thought was a little much and I loved. Next time, all whole-wheat pasta, and I'll smash a clove or two and sautee that before starting the sauce.
I loved this dish. Definately use sharp cheddar cheese. I used the reduced fat version. I also used wheat flour since I didn't have whole wheat noodles on hand just regular ones... I am definately making it again. Instead of doing a layer of spinach, I mixed it in the mac. I needed to ensure my 3-year-old did not have an easy time trying to pick it out. It worked. She ate it. :)
This is absolutely delicious!
This recipe was a big hit at our house, I love how easy it is and my husband and toddler both wolfed it down.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)