Baked Curried Brown Rice & Lentil Pilaf
Pop this fast and fragrant vegetarian dish into the oven and forget it till the timer rings. Serve as a main course on a bed of wilted spinach to add color and maximize iron absorption or serve as a side with Turkish Chicken Thighs.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown basmati or brown jasmine rice
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 1/8-inch-thick slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons red curry paste, (see Note) or 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- Place rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 350&ordm;F.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large ovenproof Dutch oven; add rice and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes. (If using curry powder, add it now and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.) Add water. Stir in lentils, garlic cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger, curry paste, if using, and salt; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the curry paste.
- Cover the pot tightly with a lid or foil. Transfer to the oven and bake until the rice and lentils are tender and all the water is absorbed, 50 to 55 minutes. Fluff with a fork, removing the cinnamon stick and ginger slices. Serve garnished with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Red curry paste is a blend of chile peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galangal (a root with a flavor similar to ginger). Look for it in jars or cans in the Asian section of the supermarket or specialty stores.
Per serving: 348 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (65% daily value), Fiber (54% dv), Iron (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian