Baked Curried Brown Rice & Lentil Pilaf
Pop this fast and fragrant vegetarian dish into the oven and forget it till the timer rings. Serve as a main course on a bed of wilted spinach to add color and maximize iron absorption or serve as a side with Turkish Chicken Thighs.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown basmati or brown jasmine rice
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 1/8-inch-thick slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons red curry paste, (see Note) or 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- Place rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 350&ordm;F.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large ovenproof Dutch oven; add rice and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes. (If using curry powder, add it now and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.) Add water. Stir in lentils, garlic cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger, curry paste, if using, and salt; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the curry paste.
- Cover the pot tightly with a lid or foil. Transfer to the oven and bake until the rice and lentils are tender and all the water is absorbed, 50 to 55 minutes. Fluff with a fork, removing the cinnamon stick and ginger slices. Serve garnished with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Red curry paste is a blend of chile peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galangal (a root with a flavor similar to ginger). Look for it in jars or cans in the Asian section of the supermarket or specialty stores.
Per serving: 348 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (65% daily value), Fiber (54% dv), Iron (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian