Baked Curried Brown Rice & Lentil Pilaf
Pop this fast and fragrant vegetarian dish into the oven and forget it till the timer rings. Serve as a main course on a bed of wilted spinach to add color and maximize iron absorption or serve as a side with Turkish Chicken Thighs.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown basmati or brown jasmine rice
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 1/8-inch-thick slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons red curry paste, (see Note) or 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- Place rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 350&ordm;F.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large ovenproof Dutch oven; add rice and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes. (If using curry powder, add it now and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.) Add water. Stir in lentils, garlic cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger, curry paste, if using, and salt; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the curry paste.
- Cover the pot tightly with a lid or foil. Transfer to the oven and bake until the rice and lentils are tender and all the water is absorbed, 50 to 55 minutes. Fluff with a fork, removing the cinnamon stick and ginger slices. Serve garnished with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Red curry paste is a blend of chile peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galangal (a root with a flavor similar to ginger). Look for it in jars or cans in the Asian section of the supermarket or specialty stores.
Per serving: 348 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (65% daily value), Fiber (54% dv), Iron (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian