Baked Curried Brown Rice & Lentil Pilaf
Pop this fast and fragrant vegetarian dish into the oven and forget it till the timer rings. Serve as a main course on a bed of wilted spinach to add color and maximize iron absorption or serve as a side with Turkish Chicken Thighs.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown basmati or brown jasmine rice
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 1/8-inch-thick slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons red curry paste, (see Note) or 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- Place rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 350&ordm;F.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large ovenproof Dutch oven; add rice and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes. (If using curry powder, add it now and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.) Add water. Stir in lentils, garlic cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger, curry paste, if using, and salt; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the curry paste.
- Cover the pot tightly with a lid or foil. Transfer to the oven and bake until the rice and lentils are tender and all the water is absorbed, 50 to 55 minutes. Fluff with a fork, removing the cinnamon stick and ginger slices. Serve garnished with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Red curry paste is a blend of chile peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galangal (a root with a flavor similar to ginger). Look for it in jars or cans in the Asian section of the supermarket or specialty stores.
Per serving: 348 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (65% daily value), Fiber (54% dv), Iron (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian