Baked Apples with Granola
From EatingWell: October 1998
A spoonful of granola adds interest to these simple baked apples. Serve with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 large baking apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup Apple & Oat Granola (recipe follows), or other low-fat granola
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Peel apples nearly halfway, leaving skin on bottom halves. Carefully cut out apple cores with a paring knife, leaving bottoms intact. Holding the paring knife at a 45° angle, widen the opening at the top of each apple by about 1/2 inch. Place apples in an 8-inch square or round baking dish. Brush peeled parts of apples with 1 tablespoon butter mixture and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Pulse granola in a food processor until it forms coarse crumbs. Add egg white, remaining butter mixture and 1 tablespoon sugar; pulse until just combined.
- Spoon the granola mixture into apples, spreading it slightly over tops. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Pour cider into baking dish around apples.
- Bake the apples until tender and filling is puffed and lightly browned, 50 to 60 minutes. (Cover apples loosely with foil if browning too quickly.) Cool in the pan for about 30 minutes. Serve warm, spooning pan juices over apples.
Per serving: 296 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 347 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1998