Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
This silky-smooth butternut soup gets a hit of spice from chipotle, cloves and cumin. Adapted from Chef Jesús González, Chef of La Cocina Que Canta at Rancho La Puerta.
- 1 1/2 pounds (1 small to medium) butternut or other winter squash
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile (see Tip)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives or chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half and seed. Place the halves on a baking sheet, cut-side down. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Scoop out flesh when cool enough to handle.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, onion and carrot and stir to coat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the squash flesh, cumin, chipotle to taste and cloves. Add broth and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a drizzle of yogurt and sprinkle of chives (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the soup for up to 3 days.
- Tip: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty-spice section of most supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 91 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 694 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (223% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other