Baja Butternut Squash Soup
This silky-smooth butternut soup gets a hit of spice from chipotle, cloves and cumin. Adapted from Chef Jesùs González, Chef of La Cocina Que Canta at Rancho La Puerta.
- 1 1/2 pounds (1 small to medium) butternut or other winter squash
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives or chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half and seed. Place the halves on a baking sheet, cut-side down. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Scoop out flesh when cool enough to handle.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, onion and carrot and stir to coat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the squash flesh, cumin, chipotle to taste and cloves. Add broth and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a drizzle of yogurt and sprinkle of chives (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the soup for up to 3 days.
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty-spice section of most supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 55 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (160% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more