Baja Butternut Squash Soup
This silky-smooth butternut soup gets a hit of spice from chipotle, cloves and cumin. Adapted from Chef Jesùs González, Chef of La Cocina Que Canta at Rancho La Puerta.
- 1 1/2 pounds (1 small to medium) butternut or other winter squash
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives or chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half and seed. Place the halves on a baking sheet, cut-side down. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Scoop out flesh when cool enough to handle.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, onion and carrot and stir to coat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the squash flesh, cumin, chipotle to taste and cloves. Add broth and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a drizzle of yogurt and sprinkle of chives (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the soup for up to 3 days.
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty-spice section of most supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 55 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (160% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more