You may not think of fish as a taco ingredient, but the Mexican-inspired fish-taco craze is beginning to spread. Once you've had one, you'll understand. This recipe is a healthful version of the battered, deep-fried and crispy fish at Rossy's Tacos in Baja California.
- 3/4 cup beer, preferably lager or pilsner
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds tilapia, or other firm white fish, sliced into 1/2-inch-by-2-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Place beer, all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, salt, oregano, mustard, cayenne and pepper in a blender; blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Transfer the batter to a shallow baking dish. Add fish, turning to coat all sides.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer one-third of the battered fish to the pan, placing each piece into a little oil. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer cooked fish to a plate; keep warm. Add 1 tablespoon oil and half the remaining fish to the pan; cook as directed above, reducing the heat if necessary. Cook the remaining fish with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The fish is best when served immediately, but will keep, wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. To reheat, place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 375°F.
Per serving: 120 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 0 g fiber; 112 mg sodium; 180 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient