You may not think of fish as a taco ingredient, but the Mexican-inspired fish-taco craze is beginning to spread. Once you've had one, you'll understand. This recipe is a healthful version of the battered, deep-fried and crispy fish at Rossy's Tacos in Baja California.
- 3/4 cup beer, preferably lager or pilsner
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds tilapia, or other firm white fish, sliced into 1/2-inch-by-2-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Place beer, all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, salt, oregano, mustard, cayenne and pepper in a blender; blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Transfer the batter to a shallow baking dish. Add fish, turning to coat all sides.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer one-third of the battered fish to the pan, placing each piece into a little oil. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer cooked fish to a plate; keep warm. Add 1 tablespoon oil and half the remaining fish to the pan; cook as directed above, reducing the heat if necessary. Cook the remaining fish with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The fish is best when served immediately, but will keep, wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. To reheat, place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 375°F.
Per serving: 120 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 0 g fiber; 112 mg sodium; 180 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood