Bacony Barley Salad with Marinated Shrimp
Here's a great example of how to cook a healthy dish in minutes - simply cook the bacon in the same pan as the barley to enrich the flavor, add some purchased cooked shrimp, a few aromatic vegetables, and you've got dinner (or a hearty potluck dish) in no time flat.
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- Cook bacon in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until crispy, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towel; discard fat.
- Add water and salt to the pan and bring to a boil. Add barley and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Combine shrimp and lime juice in a large bowl. Add the cooked barley; toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow the barley to absorb some of the lime juice. Add tomatoes, onion, cilantro and the bacon; toss to coat. Add oil and pepper and toss again. Stir in avocado and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare without avocado, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Stir in the avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 393 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 11 g mono); 235 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 7 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 859 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Fiber (29% dv), Iron (25% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 3 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique