Bacony Barley Salad with Marinated Shrimp
Here's a great example of how to cook a healthy dish in minutes - simply cook the bacon in the same pan as the barley to enrich the flavor, add some purchased cooked shrimp, a few aromatic vegetables, and you've got dinner (or a hearty potluck dish) in no time flat.
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- Cook bacon in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until crispy, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towel; discard fat.
- Add water and salt to the pan and bring to a boil. Add barley and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Combine shrimp and lime juice in a large bowl. Add the cooked barley; toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow the barley to absorb some of the lime juice. Add tomatoes, onion, cilantro and the bacon; toss to coat. Add oil and pepper and toss again. Stir in avocado and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare without avocado, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Stir in the avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 393 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 11 g mono); 235 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 7 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 859 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Fiber (29% dv), Iron (25% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 3 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique