Bacon Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Serve these bacon-studded chunky mashed potatoes with grilled steak or chicken.
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble when cool enough to handle.
- Mash the potatoes, milk (or buttermilk), salt and pepper with a potato masher until the liquid is incorporated but some chunks of potato still remain. Fold in sour cream, scallions and the crumbled bacon.
Per serving: 140 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Vitamin C (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- March/April 2011