Bacon Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Serve these bacon-studded chunky mashed potatoes with grilled steak or chicken.
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble when cool enough to handle.
- Mash the potatoes, milk (or buttermilk), salt and pepper with a potato masher until the liquid is incorporated but some chunks of potato still remain. Fold in sour cream, scallions and the crumbled bacon.
Per serving: 140 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Vitamin C (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- March/April 2011