Bacon Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Serve these bacon-studded chunky mashed potatoes with grilled steak or chicken.
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble when cool enough to handle.
- Mash the potatoes, milk (or buttermilk), salt and pepper with a potato masher until the liquid is incorporated but some chunks of potato still remain. Fold in sour cream, scallions and the crumbled bacon.
Per serving: 140 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Vitamin C (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- March/April 2011