Bacon & Egg Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 1991
Bacon and eggs aren't just for breakfast—here they star along with slightly bitter dandelion greens in a simple main-dish salad.
- 3 slices whole-wheat bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups torn young dandelion greens, or spinach leaves
- 2 ounces lean Canadian bacon, cut in strips
- 1/4 cup red- or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss bread cubes with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and garlic in a cake pan or pie plate. Bake until golden and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- Wash and thoroughly dry dandelion greens (or spinach leaves) and place them in a salad bowl. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon over greens.
- Add vinegar, broth and shallots to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cook for about 1 minute. Pour over greens. Add eggs and the croutons and toss. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 197 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 5 g fiber; 500 mg sodium; 594 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (112% daily value), Vitamin C (66% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1991
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)