Bacon & Egg Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 1991
Bacon and eggs aren't just for breakfast—here they star along with slightly bitter dandelion greens in a simple main-dish salad.
- 3 slices whole-wheat bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups torn young dandelion greens, or spinach leaves
- 2 ounces lean Canadian bacon, cut in strips
- 1/4 cup red- or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss bread cubes with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and garlic in a cake pan or pie plate. Bake until golden and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- Wash and thoroughly dry dandelion greens (or spinach leaves) and place them in a salad bowl. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon over greens.
- Add vinegar, broth and shallots to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cook for about 1 minute. Pour over greens. Add eggs and the croutons and toss. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 197 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 5 g fiber; 500 mg sodium; 594 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (112% daily value), Vitamin C (66% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Entertaining, casual
- September/October 1991