Bacon & Egg Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 1991
Bacon and eggs aren't just for breakfast—here they star along with slightly bitter dandelion greens in a simple main-dish salad.
- 3 slices whole-wheat bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups torn young dandelion greens, or spinach leaves
- 2 ounces lean Canadian bacon, cut in strips
- 1/4 cup red- or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss bread cubes with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and garlic in a cake pan or pie plate. Bake until golden and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- Wash and thoroughly dry dandelion greens (or spinach leaves) and place them in a salad bowl. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon over greens.
- Add vinegar, broth and shallots to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cook for about 1 minute. Pour over greens. Add eggs and the croutons and toss. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 197 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 5 g fiber; 500 mg sodium; 594 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (112% daily value), Vitamin C (66% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1991