Bacon & Egg Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 1991
Bacon and eggs aren't just for breakfast—here they star along with slightly bitter dandelion greens in a simple main-dish salad.
- 3 slices whole-wheat bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups torn young dandelion greens, or spinach leaves
- 2 ounces lean Canadian bacon, cut in strips
- 1/4 cup red- or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss bread cubes with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and garlic in a cake pan or pie plate. Bake until golden and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- Wash and thoroughly dry dandelion greens (or spinach leaves) and place them in a salad bowl. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon over greens.
- Add vinegar, broth and shallots to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cook for about 1 minute. Pour over greens. Add eggs and the croutons and toss. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 197 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 5 g fiber; 500 mg sodium; 594 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (112% daily value), Vitamin C (66% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1991