Bacon & Egg Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 1991
Bacon and eggs aren't just for breakfast—here they star along with slightly bitter dandelion greens in a simple main-dish salad.
- 3 slices whole-wheat bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups torn young dandelion greens, or spinach leaves
- 2 ounces lean Canadian bacon, cut in strips
- 1/4 cup red- or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss bread cubes with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and garlic in a cake pan or pie plate. Bake until golden and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- Wash and thoroughly dry dandelion greens (or spinach leaves) and place them in a salad bowl. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon over greens.
- Add vinegar, broth and shallots to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cook for about 1 minute. Pour over greens. Add eggs and the croutons and toss. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 197 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 5 g fiber; 500 mg sodium; 594 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (112% daily value), Vitamin C (66% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1991