Bacon, Egg & Asparagus Pizza
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
This pizza, topped with bacon, eggs and asparagus, was inspired by a wood-fired-oven pizza served at the Montpelier, Vermont, farmers’ market. Serve with: Mixed green salad.
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 strips bacon
- 3/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about the size of the baking sheet (see Tip). Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until crisped on the bottom, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Add shallots to the pan and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add asparagus and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Spread the vegetables over the crust and crumble bacon on top. Whisk eggs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined; slowly pour over the vegetables, trying not to let any run off the crust. Sprinkle the pizza with cheese. Bake until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Some prepared dough “resists” being stretched. If your dough is too springy, let it rest for about 15 minutes, then try rolling it out again.
Per serving: 317 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 164 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 532 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Vitamin A (20% daily value), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2010