Bacon, Egg & Asparagus Pizza
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
This pizza, topped with bacon, eggs and asparagus, was inspired by a wood-fired-oven pizza served at the Montpelier, Vermont, farmers’ market. Serve with: Mixed green salad.
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 strips bacon
- 3/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about the size of the baking sheet (see Tip). Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until crisped on the bottom, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Add shallots to the pan and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add asparagus and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Spread the vegetables over the crust and crumble bacon on top. Whisk eggs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined; slowly pour over the vegetables, trying not to let any run off the crust. Sprinkle the pizza with cheese. Bake until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Some prepared dough “resists” being stretched. If your dough is too springy, let it rest for about 15 minutes, then try rolling it out again.
Per serving: 317 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 164 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 532 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Vitamin A (20% daily value), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2010