Bacon, Egg & Asparagus Pizza
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
This pizza, topped with bacon, eggs and asparagus, was inspired by a wood-fired-oven pizza served at the Montpelier, Vermont, farmers’ market. Serve with: Mixed green salad.
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 strips bacon
- 3/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about the size of the baking sheet (see Tip). Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until crisped on the bottom, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Add shallots to the pan and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add asparagus and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Spread the vegetables over the crust and crumble bacon on top. Whisk eggs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined; slowly pour over the vegetables, trying not to let any run off the crust. Sprinkle the pizza with cheese. Bake until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Some prepared dough “resists” being stretched. If your dough is too springy, let it rest for about 15 minutes, then try rolling it out again.
Per serving: 317 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 164 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 532 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Vitamin A (20% daily value), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2010