Bacon Chard Quesadillas for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Whole-wheat tortillas are filled with smoky bacon, earthy chard and zesty Monterey Jack cheese in this quick, healthy quesadilla recipe for two.
- 2 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (generous 1/3 cup)
- 2 cups chopped chard leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add chard and pepper; cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans and coarsely mash; stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread a generous 1/4 cup filling and 2 tablespoons cheese on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Wipe out the pan and return to medium heat. Add quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes total.
Per serving: 348 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 9 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (42% daily value), Calcium (28% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Folate & Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013