Bacon Chard Quesadillas for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Whole-wheat tortillas are filled with smoky bacon, earthy chard and zesty Monterey Jack cheese in this quick, healthy quesadilla recipe for two.
- 2 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (generous 1/3 cup)
- 2 cups chopped chard leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add chard and pepper; cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans and coarsely mash; stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread a generous 1/4 cup filling and 2 tablespoons cheese on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Wipe out the pan and return to medium heat. Add quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes total.
Per serving: 348 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 9 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (42% daily value), Calcium (28% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Folate & Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013