Bacon Chard Quesadillas for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Whole-wheat tortillas are filled with smoky bacon, earthy chard and zesty Monterey Jack cheese in this quick, healthy quesadilla recipe for two.
- 2 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (generous 1/3 cup)
- 2 cups chopped chard leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add chard and pepper; cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans and coarsely mash; stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread a generous 1/4 cup filling and 2 tablespoons cheese on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Wipe out the pan and return to medium heat. Add quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes total.
Per serving: 348 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 9 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (42% daily value), Calcium (28% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Folate & Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013