From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Instead of a heavy creamy dressing, this refreshing coleslaw is dressed with a light caraway-flavored vinaigrette. The pretty crinkled leaves of Savoy cabbage have a nutty flavor, making this slaw especially flavorful.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds,crushed
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups finely shredded Savoy cabbage, (1/2 small-to-medium cabbage)
- 3 cups finely shredded red cabbage, (1/4 medium cabbage), rinsed
- 1/3 cup coarsely grated onion
- Whisk oil, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add Savoy cabbage, red cabbage and onion. Toss to coat. Serve within 2 hours.
Per serving: 69 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 44 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)