From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Instead of a heavy creamy dressing, this refreshing coleslaw is dressed with a light caraway-flavored vinaigrette. The pretty crinkled leaves of Savoy cabbage have a nutty flavor, making this slaw especially flavorful.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds,crushed
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups finely shredded Savoy cabbage, (1/2 small-to-medium cabbage)
- 3 cups finely shredded red cabbage, (1/4 medium cabbage), rinsed
- 1/3 cup coarsely grated onion
- Whisk oil, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add Savoy cabbage, red cabbage and onion. Toss to coat. Serve within 2 hours.
Per serving: 69 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 44 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)