From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Instead of a heavy creamy dressing, this refreshing coleslaw is dressed with a light caraway-flavored vinaigrette. The pretty crinkled leaves of Savoy cabbage have a nutty flavor, making this slaw especially flavorful.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds,crushed
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups finely shredded Savoy cabbage, (1/2 small-to-medium cabbage)
- 3 cups finely shredded red cabbage, (1/4 medium cabbage), rinsed
- 1/3 cup coarsely grated onion
- Whisk oil, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add Savoy cabbage, red cabbage and onion. Toss to coat. Serve within 2 hours.
Per serving: 69 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 44 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)