Baby Beet Greens with Spicy Mediterranean Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This unusual salad ties together earthy greens, sweet-tart cranberries, smoky cheese and crunchy croutons with a spicy-sweet dressing. Baby chard and beet greens have bright-colored ribs and veins, which give this salad a beautiful look.
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cubed whole-wheat or multigrain bread
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small clove garlic
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups baby beet greens, baby chard or baby spinach
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup shredded smoked cheese, such as Cheddar
- To prepare vinaigrette: Heat mustard seeds, coriander and cumin in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrot juice and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Place raisins in a blender and add the hot juice. Let stand for 5 minutes to plump the raisins. Then add vinegar, cilantro, yogurt, honey, crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and blend until combined. Pour in 1/4 cup oil and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- To prepare croutons: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss bread and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl until well combined. Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring once, until golden and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
- To prepare salad: Season a wooden salad bowl by rubbing with garlic and pinch of salt. Chop the garlic and add to the bowl along with greens. Pour 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette over the greens. (Cover and refrigerate the remaining 1/2 cup vinaigrette for up to 3 days.) Sprinkle the salad with cranberries, cheese and the croutons; toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the vinaigrette (Steps 1 & 2) for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 183 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 242 mg sodium; 173 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- March/April 2009
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)