Avocado Ice Cream
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
This is a creamy, refreshing dairy-free dessert Rick Bayless has served in his restaurant Frontera Grill for years.
- 1 1/2 cups avocado puree (see Tip), from about 3 ripe large avocados
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup tequila
- Lime zest for garnish
- After making avocado puree, add water, sugar, lime juice and tequila to the food processor with 1 1/2 cups of the puree; pulse until well combined. Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour or overnight.
- Transfer the avocado mixture to the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. If desired, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving. Garnish with lime zest, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day in advance. Store ice cream, airtight, in the freezer for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Ice cream maker
- Tip: To make avocado puree, peel and pit 3 ripe large avocados and process in a food processor until smooth. Measure out 1 1/2 cups for the ice cream. Reserve any extra for another use.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 224 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 34 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- March/April 2010