Autumn Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This simple chicken stew stars three of fall’s best crops—apples, carrots and parsnips. Serve with toasted sharp Cheddar cheese sandwiches and a brown ale.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 3 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add onion, parsnips, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and apples; bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in vinegar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 208 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 4 g fiber; 621 mg sodium; 630 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (68% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2010