Autumn Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This simple chicken stew stars three of fall’s best crops—apples, carrots and parsnips. Serve with toasted sharp Cheddar cheese sandwiches and a brown ale.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 3 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add onion, parsnips, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and apples; bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in vinegar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 208 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 4 g fiber; 621 mg sodium; 630 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (68% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2010