Autumn Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This simple chicken stew stars three of fall’s best crops—apples, carrots and parsnips. Serve with toasted sharp Cheddar cheese sandwiches and a brown ale.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 3 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add onion, parsnips, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and apples; bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in vinegar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 208 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 4 g fiber; 621 mg sodium; 630 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (68% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2010