My alterations: reduced the broth, added some white wine and a bay leaf. It was pleasant enough for dinner, but the leftovers the next day were GREAT! The apple, parsnip and vinegar flavors seemed to mellow and deepen with time. I will definitely make this again -- a day ahead this time around.
Autumn Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This simple chicken stew stars three of fall’s best crops—apples, carrots and parsnips. Serve with toasted sharp Cheddar cheese sandwiches and a brown ale.
12 Reviews for Autumn Chicken Stew
This was a flavorful and fast stew. I added a half cup of white wine with the apples first and let it reduce a bit, then added two cups of chicken stock--so mine was not as soupy as the original recipe. As with most EW recipes, I found it to be far too light on the seasoning. I seasoned the chicken before the initial saute with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and ended up seasoning again at the end. I served this over quinoa to make it a more filling dinner.
Make sure to chop the woody cores out of the parsnips.
I added 2 cups of cooked quinoa at the end and let it sit for an hour. I think this made it just filling enough.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)