Added to the original recipe 1/4 cabbage in chunks, 3 stalks celery, 1/2 turnip, 8 garlic cloves, my fairy dust powder on the chicken (salt, fresh pepper, savory, garlic powder and a light dusting of paprika) and I've let it stew oh so gently for one hour. The original cooking times didn't allow for the melding of flavors IMO. The sweetness of the apple mellowed the sulfur tasting turnip and cabbage. Not too sweet, not too strong tasting: a very delicate balance. Great with fresh bread for mopping. I will add fresh ginger next time and stick it in the stove for some crunchy roasted veggie tops. Would be even more great with celeriac! Dreamin'...
Autumn Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This simple chicken stew stars three of fall’s best crops—apples, carrots and parsnips. Serve with toasted sharp Cheddar cheese sandwiches and a brown ale.
12 Reviews for Autumn Chicken Stew
My daughters loved this stew!! The apples were just lovely, and the whole ensemble was great. I didn't have parsnips though so I used celery. :)
It is pretty good! I love the apple taste! Not too filling on its own though. I will serve with cheese sandwiches next time :)
Served it as luncheon dish with the very sharp cheddar toasts to the board of a non-profit -- an enormous hit with both the guys and the gals. Wouldn't change a thing. Served it with cold cider to drink and warmed organic canned peaches mixed with some allspice and served over ginger ice cream for dessert. Perfect autumn meal. Quick, easy and delicious.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)