Athenian Pasta Primavera
This Greek-inspired pasta dish features zucchini, bell pepper, peas, fresh mint and feta. Cherry tomatoes and chopped kalamata olives also work well.
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 1 1/2 cups baby peas, (if frozen, rinse under warm water and drain)
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, (4 ounces)
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and zucchini to the onion. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just beginning to soften, 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, 1 minute more. Stir in wine and pepper; simmer until most of the wine has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook penne in the boiling water according to the package directions, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Return the pasta to the pot.
- Stir the reserved cooking liquid and the vegetables into the pasta along with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, peas, mint and feta.
Per serving: 305 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 8 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)