Orzo, a rice-shaped pasta, makes a delightful base for an authentically Greek combination of shrimp, tomatoes and feta. To serve as a side dish, omit the shrimp and drain the tomatoes before adding them.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup orzo
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or other 3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley, capers, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Drop in shrimp and cook, stirring, until barely pink, about 2 1/2 minutes.
- Cook orzo in the boiling water until tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Toss with the tomato-shrimp sauce. Sprinkle with feta and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley.
- Bake, uncovered, until the feta is bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Per serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 189 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 4 g fiber; 991 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 26 mg vitamin C (45% daily value), 730 mg potassium (37% dv), 7 mg iron (35% dv), 124 mcg folate (31% dv), 243 mg calcium (25% dv), 97 mg magnesium (24% dv), 15% dv vitamin A, 15% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient