Asparagus with Fresh Tomato Garnish
This quick raw “tomato sauce” makes a beautiful, elegant topping for asparagus spears. This is a great dish for entertaining because it will be just as delicious warm or room temperature.
- 1 pound asparagus, steamed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Put asparagus in a steamer basket, place in the pan, cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, shallot, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Serve the asparagus topped with the tomato garnish.
Per serving: 58 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique